Sunday, August 24, 2008

I hate other drivers, but I love Schadenfreude!

I'm beginning to believe that no one but me should drive at least when I am driving. Also, I am probably a horrible person, but I laughed at the misfortune of others today while driving. There was a bit of justification though. At least I think so, and that's really what matters... to me.

I was driving out of Brigham today heading back home with the rugrat. She spent the night at Grandma and Grandpa's after a day of fun at Lagoon so that I could have a birthday party for myself with my friends without having to wrestle her down. Main street in Brigham has 5 lanes. The Right hand lanes are right up near the curb, so there is not a lot of wiggle room there. I'm in the right lane heading down main street attempting to get past a truck pulling a boat trailer. I was going slowly because the guy driving wasn't so good at the keeping in his own lane and so I was also hugging the right side of the lane as much as possible. Just as my front end comes up even with his passenger window he started coming over. I immediately hit my brakes and my horn at the same time. Apparently his reflexes suck because had I not come to a dead stop in my lane about 1/2 inch from running my car up over the curb, he'd have taken off my front bumper. His passenger then hangs his arm out the window and flips me off and was yelling something. I'm pretty sure it was non-complimentary because you know, it was totally my fault for being in the lane where they wanted to be. Jerks. I was so shaken that when I pulled into 7-11 two blocks later I had to sit in the car for a few minutes and get my heartrate down before heading in to get some beverages for the ride home. Too dang hot for the end of August I say.

Anyway, got beverages and stripy chips for Malia and we headed out. For some bizarre reason I decided to take the freeway. Yes, I took the freeway. I found out later that it must have been pre-destined. About a mile and a half before the Smith & Edwards exit I noticed a truck pulling a boat off to the side of the freeway. As I got closer I realized that it was the one that nearly broke my car. Being a big old jerk, I honked and waved at them as I passed by. I then chuckled a little bit here and there for the next 15 minutes or so. It was fantastic. Looking back now from a couple hours onward I feel a bit bad about finding so much joy in their misfortune, but at the same time I can't help but continue to feel a bit repaid. I don't know if they actually saw me or recognized my car even though I was going significantly lower than the 75 MPH speed limit because apparently Sunday early afternoon is mass migration of semis and I got stuck in the middle. I do like to think that they recognized me and felt a bit bad.

I'm going to post at a later date about Lagoon because being the horribly unprepared parent I am on many occasions, I did not take a camera so I have to wait to get some pictures from other people. Just add this to the post of fun from the Dinosaur Park because I'm waiting on pictures from that one too.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Maybe we should pin a camera to your collar... you know things never get lost in transit that way lol