Friday, August 8, 2008

I used to love school...

I've determined that I heavily dislike whatever School District Malia is in. I can't remember what it is and I'm too lazy to look it up. It's been a grand ole time getting her registered for Kindergarten. I will share the timeline with you:

--Beginning of January I submit a request to change schools so that she can go to the Elementary that buses from her daycare. I am told I will be notified mid-February whether or not she will be able to attend.
--Mid-March I finally receive a phone call letting me know that she's been accepted and I can come get the registration materials.
--Beginning of May I attend (with Malia) Kindergarten Round-up and turn in her registration information. Since her annual checkup with the doctor isn't until the middle of August, I have Malia get her final shots because they won't register her or assign her to a class until she's had all of them. I did not want to take the chance that she would not be in the morning class. I am told that final registration and class information will be sent out at the end of June.
--I call the school on August 5th since I've not yet heard anything about her class. I was told that they changed their scheduling and were just sending out the final registration information that day.
--I get a postcard in the mail on Wednesday. I'll try and scan later to show you the insane amount of information in tiny font on this card. This card lets me know the following:
  • I have to come into the school one night next week to pick up more information that they didn't give out at the original registration and that they'll post the Kindergarten class lists on the door of the classroom.
  • I must schedule a conference with her teacher for one evening on either August 20th or 21st.
  • Malia doesn’t in fact start school on August 25. Even though I was told this was the first day of school at the Round-up, Kindergarten doesn’t actually start until the Tuesday after Labor Day.
  • I have to take her in for a pre-assessment test the week of August 25th.

Now, I don't have a problem with doing everything that needs to be done in order to get her into school. What I object to is the spreading out of everything that needs to happen and not being told everything that needs to happen. Can they not consolidate all of this in some fashion? Would it have been super difficult to hand out the information packets at the Kindergarten Round-up? Failing that, they could have at least mentioned the other items that would be coming up. I asked specifically what other things I needed to do and was told that there wasn't anything else and I'd get everything that I needed in the mail. It just seems like the way they've organized things, and I use 'organized' VERY loosely, isn't very efficient.

Regardless, Malia starts Kindergarten on September 2, 2008. She's beyond excited to start and we've already gotten her backpack and school supplies, which she keeps getting out in her impatience to begin.

Well, she may start school then. Does anyone know how to get crayon and/or colored pencil off a TV screen? I say crayon and/or because she doesn't remember which she used on the TV and which she used on the printer. GAAAHHHH!

1 comment:

Britt said...

Kelly, just came across your blog from Kami's. I have used microfiber cloths to get out both pen and crayon off of my computer screen. I'd try those. (Brittany Foster)