Monday, November 10, 2008

Halloween - Fun or bust!

So, I thought about splitting this up into multiple posts about the different activities. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your view, I have decided against that idea. I've just created individual slideshows for the activities. I'll intersperse with my usual commentary.

First up for fun we had the Boo at the Zoo. Now, I love a good time at the zoo and I love that lots of people go because that means they make money and can stay in business. However, unless my life absolutely depends on it or Malia begs for months, I'll not be attending again. It was held the Saturday before Halloween. In theory it sounded great. Tables set up for trick or treating in a pretty safe zone sounded fantastic. Unfortunately every one and their dog also thought it sounded great. After the 4th 15 minute wait to get a sucker or a mini-candybar Malia and I gave up and just checked out the animals and then went home. I think the best part of the day was hitting up the Mexican restaurant not far from me with Krissy and Haylee and then having Malia drive off to Brigham with them for a sleepover with Haylee. Unfortunately for the parents, and fortunately for Krissy, Malia opted for sleeping at the parents instead. Boy was she glad to see me Sunday afternoon, and I was glad to see her. It's nice to have a break now and again, but I miss her terribly. I know, uncharateristic mush from me. I'll try to cut down. Here is the slideshow of fun. Note the terribly excited look on her face.



Next up we had the fun of having Ryan and Mel come over to carve pumpkins. Well, we actually went out to dinner to the New Ho Ho Gourmet and we bribed Malia into behaving with the promise that they would come over if she behaved. Following closely on the heels of the behavior stuff at school, it was handy. That whole cluster is an entirely different post that I'm waiting until I'm less pissed at her school to post. Anyway, it was a good time with Ryan assisting Malia with the actual cutting of her pumpkin. She drew the picture and he wielded the knife. This was probably best for all involved. I did my pumpkin all by myself because I'm too particular to allow help. Mel had the best idea though and refrained from actually touching the pumpkins. If I wasn't the parent, I would have opted to go this route. I swear my hands smelled like pumpkin for days. Here are the few pictures taken. I apologize that they are so dark. I only have the ones that were taken with Malia's camera and it appears that no flashing happened. Also, yes, she is hugging her pumpkin. We had to go out at bedtime so she could give it a hug and kiss goodnight. Added pictures that Ryan just sent me to the slideshow. HAHA Mel, got some of you too. Oh, and yes I just realized that Malia is indeed kissing her pumpkin in one picture and yes, her pumpkin has hands.



Halloween Day I was the favorite parent ever at Malia's school. I was in charge of donuts. Since in my quest to find glazed donuts I failed, I ended up getting maple and chocolate bars. Not only that, but they either had candy corn or bat/ghost/pumpkin shaped sprinkles on them. I feel rather bad for the parents that got their kids home after that gorging of donut. I'm pretty sure those bars count as two donuts, plus adding in the sugary toppings? Oh, that's pure insanity. I got much love from the class. Here are the pics. No Slideshow because there are only three. Also, note the lovely green down the front of her costume. That should teach me to allow watermelon yogurt for breakfast.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Finally we have the joy of actual Trick or Treating in the parents neighborhood. Needless to say it was difficult getting out the door. It seemed like Malia and Haylee had been hitting the crazy juice because holy crap were they wired. Hannah wasn't so much but she's young and hasn't been completely infected by her cousins yet. It's not for lack of effort on their part though, trust me. I think it's just a matter of her getting better at keeping up with them. I foresee a madhouse at the parents for Christmas and I can hardly wait! I just wish JC, Carin and Zenock would be there too. Anyway, after a couple of houses Hannah was done so Krissy, Rob and I went on with the two riff-raff. We only did approximately 3 blocks worth of homes, but man did they get a lot of candy. I hope Haylee got some of hers... Rob, I'm looking at you! Malia and I have hardly made a dent in hers and it's not like we aren't snacking on way too many each evening. By the end, the girls were dragging and Malia made me carry her bag because it was just too heavy. In keeping with her drama queen crown, Haylee gave me her "worn out" look. I think she looks drugged, not tired, but she's young and has plenty of time to fine tune before she gets to Broadway. Here is the slideshow of fun.




All in all it was a good holiday, but now I'm worn out and am taking a small break from doing anything. Gotta rest up for the fun of sewing the girls' Christmas dresses. So excited!

2 comments:

Mandy B said...

holy crap!!! i love love love your dad's costume! =D and I think the best of malia is her in your dad's costume with that face she is making. it looks like you guys had way more fun than linus and me. no trick or treaters and too much chocolate left over. shrug.

ps please let me know when you go to zoo lights during christmas...it sounds fun.

amy morgan said...

Hey, Kelly! Hope you don't mind me blog stalking you!! Your daughter is DARLING, and I'm SO impressed with her "mama-made" costume! So fun - good to see that all is well with you and yours!