Thursday, March 18, 2010

Odd bits

Two things:

1. The damn hamsters got out last night. I'm pretty sure that it's because I apparently didn't completely secure the cage after I cleaned it out last night and they were high on the feeling of freedom they had had while I was cleaning. I let them roll around in those little balls around the kitchen and down the hallway. Dodgers managed to escape the ball, but instead of running and hiding, she decided to climb on my foot and nibble on my toes so she was easily recovered and placed back in the ball... which I then taped shut. Apparently that was not appreciated because they later jimmied up the side of the cage and pushed the door open and got out.

Again, Dodgers lives up to her namesake in that she's not very bright. Where does she head? My bedroom. I was awakened at around 5:15 to sounds of her starting to chew on one of my books. Nothing else is going to wake me from a dead sleep without touching me than my books being messed with. Unfortunately, she got away and after 20 minutes or so I just decided to get ready. About the time we were getting ready to leave, I went in my closet to get my shoes. There was Dodgers who, when I put my hand down on the floor, climbed on in and let me take and put her back in the cage. Finding The Cadet is on my to do list for when we get home. Preferably before she starves and starts stinking up the place. Or eats my books. Oh hell, she better not eat my books. Now I'm going to be worrying about that all day long. I now have a horrible picture in my head that I'll get home and she's created a nest out of my favorite smut novels (with pirates of course) and is all settled in. Aaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!


2. While stopped at a red light this morning, I had this conversation with the rugrat and it almost made me cry.
RR: Hey, that store over there sells notebooks and backpacks.
Me: What store, and I don't see any sign.
RR: The Chinese one over there. Those characters mean notebooks and backpacks for sale.
Me: Oh... Okay, we'll check it out on the way home.

This is the first time it's really hit me that she's learning CHINESE and is accessing that knowledge almost subconsciously. It's like when I see a sign in Spanish, I just read it, but Chinese, I just pass over it because I don't know it. She sees the Chinese and stops to read it. I am assuming it will be the highlight of my day because really, does it get better?


3. So, I'm sneaking in a third one. I had to share that the rugrat had green macaroni and cheese for dinner last night and then we watched "Darby O'Gill and the Little People". Happy St. Patrick's Day to us!

No comments: