Monday, August 11, 2008

Take your pick - possession or spontaneous self-fixing

To be specific I think that my swamp cooler is possessed. It started acting up a few weeks ago when we had the joy of almost thunderstorms every evening for a couple of weeks. I thought it was because it was so humid. We all know that humidity trumps the cooling effects of the swamper, so I didn't stress too much. Once the humidity went down it didn't start working any better so I had the resident handy man take a look. The prognosis was not good and looking back also doesn't make sense to me.

He said that the motor was on the fritz and I needed a new one. This does not make sense to me because it was still blowing air. However, I am no expert on the inner workings of the swamp cooler so I let it slide. My HOA covers the maintenance of things, but not the actual parts so I have to pay for a new motor. However, I've managed to just miss the handyman every evening since finding out it was broken so I've not been able to let him know to buy the new motor. Needless to say, It's been a bit toasty.

Yesterday I don't know why I decided to try it out, but I cranked up the old swamp cooler and wonder of wonders it worked! Now, it was not cooling down excessively, but it did not get above 79 all day and I'm impressed with that. It even kept cooling over night. Let me tell you that waking up at 67 degrees after dying of heat for a week or so is a little disconcerting.

I don't know if it's actually going to continue working properly or if it's just possessed. I guess we'll see when I get home tonight and start her up.

No comments: