Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's becoming a habit...

At some point in the near future I may need an intervention. I leave it to all of you to determine when that needs to happen. After the fun I had sewing up Halloween costumes for the rugrat and I, it became necessary for me to branch out just to see if I could do it. So, I got patterns for the rugrat and myself that contain all the pieces necessary to make full outfits. Obviously I was smart enough to go with the easier patterns because even I am not willing to make the jump to insanely difficult right from the get go. At least with sewing. :) Sewing has seemed to replace baking as my stress reliever too. Which is weird because it's 100 times more frustrating than baking a cake, but the results last longer so maybe that's why it's working for me.

Last night I decided to break out the jumper pattern for Malia and give her a go. I needed to see how long it was going to take because the sisters and I have decided to make matching jumpers for our girls to do Christmas pictures. I need to know how long it's going to take me to sew them so I know how quickly I need to get going. Well, after two hours last night, I'm just about finished. I did not start until around 8 so I had to stop at 10 so as to not annoy the neighbors with my loud sewing machine. I don't know if it can be heard outside my condo, but I'd rather not take the chance given how much I complain about the crazy dude living above me and his tendency toward loud. I just have to finish up the hem on the bottom and finish hemming up the armholes as well. I'm sure there is a technical sewing word for the armhole finishing thingie, but I don't know what it is. I did learn that I will not be using flannel for these though. Holy crap that was a pain. Maybe it was just the type I got, but it stuck to itself and other parts and I think added in at least an extra 20 minutes to the whole process. I think I may move to fleece for winter wear because it would be nice and cozy.

Here are pics of the jumper. Yes, it's really long, but I still need to hem it and I figured longer was better what with winter coming up next on the season agenda.

2 comments:

WindsOfChanges said...

You are not alone in sewing addiction! I started out just like you with sewing. I went from costumes, to holiday dresses to a home based sewing business to a full fledge addict. Great Job!

Jon said...

You became froofy!! LMAO!!!! I love it! You are such a girl! Finaly!